Thursday, May 3, 2012

A 12 foot rusty wall splattered with graffiti surrounds us. A chopper roars by overhead while a man in a suburban peers down on us with 2 foot binoculars from 100 yards away. Nothing but desert and mountains can be seen in front of us. Where are we you ask. In a war zone? Escaping from prison? Some third world country? No we are on vacation. One that Kristi and I chose to go on. Even made major life changes to get here.

The first day we hiked blistering 20 miles over a mountain or two all for the promise of a hot shower. What didn't expect to find waiting on us was the sunset in the picture above over Lake Morena or the loaded cooler and sheet brownies that were waiting on us at our campsite. Thank you so much Trail Angels. You are saviors.

So far we have met people from all over the US both young and old that are from all walks of life on our walk. Theres even someone here named Major Upchuck. I have yet to meet him but I am hoping to soon. There are apparently 300 ahead of us as well. There is something intoxicating about being around so many others that are doing exactly what they want to be doing right at at this moment. It's something that I haven't experienced too often.

Anyway, the scenery has been absolutely amazing. We are surrounded by mountains and we have now ascended to 6000 feet which is not too bad considering we started around 1800 feet a few days/mountains ago. We are doing well and thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We will take all that we can get.

We have now made it to the Mount Laguna Lodge and we just spent close to a car payment in their grocery store but ice cream is so worth it. I tried to talk the owner into letting me take a shopping cart along with me for the hike, but he let me know promptly that was not gonna happen.

I have to go now. Kristi just bet me that I can't eat a pizza, a hamburger, and a burrito all in one sitting and if you know me, you know I am not one to be proven wrong. So happy trails to all of you. Next stop Warner Springs, CA hopefully we will be there in 4 or 5 days.

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment