Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Does a bear ______ in the woods? Fill in the blank. This should answer that question. Here's some more information where there's scat there is also usually a bear. This proved to be true one early morning outside of Castle Crags State park near Mt. Shasta when Turtle and I were eating breakfast. We heard a light rustling in the leaves which sounded like a deer. There have been tons of deer along this stretch. I ignored it and continued to eat until it go closer. At that point I stood up and looked in the dry creek bed we camped near and saw an adult black bear 30 feet away. I called Turtle over and the bear ducked behind some logs but still did not see us. We could hear him moving in our general direction but he was out of sight until he came on top of the log 10 feet from us saw us and made noises I have never heard before and would be fine with never hearing again. He bowed up on the
log snorting at us when Turtle elected me to yell at him while she took pictures. I think I got the raw end of the deal on that one, but none the less I began yelling with expletives inserted randomly in my speech, but the bear did not seem to understand this. I had read recently that you are supposed to yell at them and if that doesn't make them move on then you throw rocks near them. The book goes on to say later this may only provoke them and entice them to taste you, but I had already played my ace in the hole by dropping my choicest phrases on this guy and he didn't budge. Initiate rock toss. Now I am hurling rocks at a 200-300lb bear (Turtle has pictures) at a bear that can smell pop tarts on my fingers praying that I don't anger him further because he is not face deep in my food bag. After a few shots, he gives one last snort and runs off into the woods. That was the fastest we
have ever packed up a campsite and started hiking. Now I have cracked the morning motivation code. Reporting that there is a bear near may have to be used again once we start having morning rainstorms. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment